Tuesday, January 16, 2007

I just noticed......

Today as I left a meeting that many of the people that walked the streets were not really dressed for the weather. One lady, carrying a small baby, maybe 3 or 4 months old, had the child dressed in a thin jogging suit and some Jordans. I wanted to say to her, "Lady, do you realize it's 35 degrees out here, what the hell is your proble, not to mention those shoes are way too heavy for your child's feet." Of course this is NY and she probably would have cursed me out. Instead I said a prayer for the little eskimo baby and continued my journey. On the train, I sat next to a man with no teeth. He had a nice smile. He offered me some of his coffee, which I politely declined. That was definitely a first. When I woke up this morning, I had the feeling this today was gonna be an unusual day. And thus far I haven't been disappointed.

7 comments:

DCveR said...

Living or working in a big city usually provides us with plenty of "unusual days". What really scares me is thinking someday I may become unaware of the strange things around me... someday those strange people may be as invisible to me as they seem to be to to many people.

Hayden said...

big city, small city: I always find a lot to make me stop and gawk. any day that surprises me is a good day!

Hayden said...

one of these days I will make it to NY again. we can meet at MoMa's cafeteria and eat date nut bread with chutney cream cheese. If I am lucky they will still have it on the menu.

Icylyrics said...

Let's definitely do that! Or better yet, I can come out to Sunny CA. A place I've never been before. You can take me kyakingggggg!!!!

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Everyday I try to find surprises, the good ones, otherwise I'll start doing like everybody else and saying bad things about everything around me. I couldn't stand that, I'd get too blue.

{illyria} said...

serendipity always surprises, doesn't it?

Hayden said...

icy! you go girl! or rather, you come on out! You have to cut me a little slack, I haven't been in my boat in some years, but I sure would love to meet you RT!