Monday, October 03, 2005

The introduction!

Downtown was just beginning to stir as I walked along Market street at 6:15 am. I could feel my feet pressing against the concrete as I slowly made my way to the coffee shop. I spotted him laying at the bus stop as I walked past. He nodded his head in my direction and I smiled as I made my way down the street. He then yelled out...."hey you..." I refused to show any fear so I yelled back in an even louder voice, "HEY YOU" I think I may have shocked him out of his drunken stupor because he sat straight up and attempted to clearly focus on my face. Of course by then it was too late and I was inside the coffee shop. By the way, I don't drink coffee.
This has relevance, but not until later in the story.

For several weeks, this man was sitting or lying in the same spot both before and after I got off work. Some days he would simply stare at me as I walked past, other days, he would tell me he liked my hair or my dress. Some days he chose to tell me something profound about our country, like.....The world is fucked up becuase of the United States, you know that right? I would generally nod my agreement and keep walking. Then one day it happend. He wasn't on the bus stop. He walked up behind me and literally scared the shit out of me. I'd never been this close to a street person before, but I didn't want to be intimitdaed, so I smiled and told him to never walk up on me like that again unless he wanted to get cut. His laughter bellowed through the streets and then that's when I saw them. His beautiful grey eyes that cut through any fear I could possibly have. At his side he carried a half empty bottle of barcadi, his coffee, however he respected me enough to keep it at his side while he walked with me.

"Hello doll, my name is Pablo...Pablo Witherspoon, and I figured it was time for me to make an appropriate introduction. "Hi there, I'm Rhonda, how are you today? Well I'm good for an old man gone young.

Then it begins. He tells me the story. One of the most incredible stories I've ever heard in my life.

More Soon!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

homless people scare me---

i think they're all depressed- and i feel like i can "catch that desease" from them---

but that's awesome that you extended your hand- i think if we all extended a helping hand more often we would realize that instead of giving up we would actually be receiving-

{illyria} said...

sounds like there's a wonderful story ahead. can't wait.

Anonymous said...

simply amazing...

Anonymous said...

simply amazing...

Anonymous said...

simply amazing...

Anonymous said...

simply amazing...

Laylah Queen of the Night said...

I love sequals.I'm here waiting...

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Homeless people scare me too. I never know when they're going to spit on me, but they come knocking at our gate and we give them food.

What did he tell you, Icy? Story, story...

Me Dwn said...

Your intro is quite an intriguing read. I wants some mo... gimme some mo!

Buffalo said...

Icy, your ability to write shames me. You are so damned good!

Buffalo said...

Hurry up with the rest of the story!