Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Mr. Looks Perfectly Normal

I've discovered that most people have some degree of insanity brewing within them. I've oftern wondered and seriously thought about what makes people come unglued. I think I will be dedicating my next few blog entries to this issue.

This morning while on my way to work, I was sitting next to a perfectly nice gentleman. He was reading the paper and I was mentally doing my grocery list. After about two minutes he leans over and says to me, 'Hey, you know my mom died yesterday,' My response was, "Oh, I'm very sorry to hear that." Thinking this would be the end of the conversation, but somehow knowing it wouldn't be, he leans over again about 30 seconds later and tells me that he has not seen his mother in 7 years, and that she had cancer, but he's not sad because, well, he really didn't know her, but because he is her son, he feels like he should go to the funeral. All the while Mr. Looks perfectly normal, but clearly is either bereaved or just crazy is saying this, I'm still mentally trying to decide whether I want to get a nice gormet dinner for my fiance and I to eat tonight or maybe just hit a local organic food spot that he loves. I can't decide because suddenly it occurs to me that this man has just basically told me his entire life story in the span of 15 minutes. I have a hard time responding when he pauses,

because well, I'm not really listening.

I got to work without further incident, but I ask myself, was this because I was distracted thinking aout tonight's dinner, or did I just not really give a damn?

I hope Mr Looks normal gets through the death of his mom, but I'm really concerned about my own way of internalizing things now. Hell, maybe I'm the one who's crazy.

icy

icy

2 comments:

Hayden said...

must be a really odd, disconnected feeling to know that there is no emotion where everyone else feels that there should be a lot of it.

reminds me of comments made by an autistic acquaintance.

Icy said...

Yes, it is but you learn how to deal with those emotions that leave you emotionless.