Monday, August 01, 2005

Kickstand Theory

As a child I remember my first bike (without traning wheels) had a kickstand that would often cause me scratch up my ankles when I would attempt to lower it. The metal would rub against my skin and by Summer's end my right ankle looked like it had been in a war zone.

...So I took the kickstand off one day. Got tired of that extra support simply because it caused me so much pain, so I just removed it. My bike didn't seem to mind being lain on the ground very much and the following summer, my ankles were in much better condition.

Today I kinda wish I had a kickstand, one I could lean myself on when I got real tired like I am now. But there's always the threat of injury when you let too many vices support you. I think I'll just stand on my own and ask God to have my back, and if I do fall, Dear Lord, please let it be on the grass.

Oh yeah, I've discovered also, when you try and be a 'kickstand' for too many riders, you take the chance on rusting out real quick.

6 comments:

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I agree, when you try to be a kickstand for too many riders, you get worn.

Would you say your 'kickstand' is your prayer?

I wonder what other folks use as theirs? Their spouse? Children? Art? Beauty. Nature...

Icylyrics said...

Most definitely its Prayer for me. Anything else just makes me itch.

Unknown said...

hmmm, maybe sometimes we need kickstands that rub our ankles so that when we finally take them off we feel SOOO MUCH BETTER-

Hayden said...

I can feel an urge coming ... "KICKSTANDS, UNITE"
we could start a movement... literally .. a movement that moves.... learning to duck away quick when someone is leaning too hard and too long, and not to be too sympathetic when they go splat. and equally important, not to be caught laughing when they do...

Icylyrics said...

You just might have something here hayden, maybe you could head up the first meeting, and GG, Ale and I will bring the food. Naw, you cook and well just come sit, listen and eat. Did I say eat. By the way ladies, I've lost 12 more lbs. Can I have some icecream now?

Unknown said...

good job on 12lbs icy!!!
and NO u cant have ice cream- go freeze a grape and suck on it! :)