Sunday, July 10, 2005

Have You Seen Any Bullshit Lately?

One of the many things that fascinates me about writing is how two people can take one topic, and wrtie about it in totally different ways. Each of us as writers have our own style of delivering a story, or a poem. Literature is beautiful in that it allows each of our perceptions to take on what we percieve the artist is trying to say. I recently read some poetry, that in my opinion was horrible. I went to a book store, purchased a book from a writer that I'd never heard of. On the cover of the book the author appeared to be connected to some sort of machine with tues and wires and looked as if he were in a coma. That should have been a tell-tale sign right there. However I was al\ways taught never to judge a book by its cover, so I bought the book.

I came home excited, thinking I'm about to read some real deep poetry about this dude who may have had a near death experience, but no no no. Not even close. He began to speak in crazy ass codes that not even I, the code queen, could decipher. Beginning versus of each poem with out of place punctuation, sideways grammer, and writing from somewhere so deep inside himself that it confused even me. I AM NOT EASILY CONFUSED! (cept of course Monday -Sunday) Anyway I was disappointed because after reading a few poems it was obvious to me that this dude was simply saying shit. And calling it poetry. I wanted to yell at the book and say SHUT THE FUCK UP! But that would have done no good since I was reading printed material that in my opinion should have stayed in his personal journal. The most disappointing factor in this book occurred at the end, which should I have read in the book store, I'm pretty sure the book would have stayed in its dusty home on the bottom of the bookshelf. The author says this about himself...

" Not much is known about_(leaving out his name just in case his two fans might happen to read this blog)_______He was born in Harlem and lived for a while in Atlanta and other places and stuff. Now in Brooklyn, he works as a bag boy at the Pathmarks or something.'

Is this the author's way of saying, 'anybody can get published, all you gotta do is throw some words together and get self published' I was disappointed not so much in wasting $15.00, but I was upset that the quality of who we are as writiers can be often reduced to pieces of crap such as this book. I'm not a judgemental person by nature, however when it comes to my writing and that of my fellow artists, I do beleive that we have a responsibility to produce work that says something positive about our craft. I realize that poetry is an often wide venue, and what one interprets as crap, another might view as a fine piece of poetry. However reading this book has taught me a valuable lesson. I never want one of my readers to pick up anything I've written and feel as I feel about this book. I have to work harder, strive for more excellence in my own personal writing style, and be committed to accept both praise and critcism as I become more well known in the literary field.

I'm striving to be a good writer. I work hard everyday to make my words mean something, I also know there are tons of good writers out there that have more tenacity and the ability to appeal to a broader audience which will clasify them as being 'among the best'. As much as I want to be published by a reputable publishing house, I realize its gonna take more work, and maybe even a few dissapointments along the way. When I read poetry by Nikki Giovanni, Jill Scott, Langston Hughes, Chromemic, Bonita Jacobs, GG, Korema, & Locumdwn just to name a few, I know that I can't just throw words on a page and call it poetry. These people give me the encouragement through their writing to be strive for excellence in my own.

I was angry at the author of that poetry book. I'm sure most people would say, I'm being way too deep about the whole thing. I can hear my daughter saying...."well Ma, just don't read it'. or I can hear a few of my friends laughing at the book and making a mockery of some of the poems. I'm not gonna do that, because I do respect the fact that he believed in himself and took the necessary efforts to get his book published. Something has to be said for that, however the content of his pieces were weak, confusing, nausiating and actually had me wretching a time or two. I know this is my interpretation. By no means am I an expert.

I pray he gets stronger in his writing. I must digress from this and get back to the task at hand. Becomming a Great Writer. How long will it take me? Will people enjoy my work? Will anyone ever feel about my writing the way I felt about this book? Am I wrong for expressing such a strong opion about someone's 'art'? Should I just read it again and maybe try for a different interpretation?

Well in any case I've been really watching my carbs lately, so I may be suffering some sort of mental block...(lol) let me work on not producing bullshit through my written words. Or even my spoken ones for that matter. Don't yall think there's enough bullshit already out here in the world without writers adding to the pile?

I guess what I'm trying to say is self-expression is a beautiful thing, and we all have the right to say and write what we feel. However as artists, there's a line that must be drawn when it comes to producing words and calling it Poetry. I refuse to be one of those bullshit writers who honestly beleives 'ANYTHING GOES'

10 comments:

Phukofku Gale said...

Icy,

I rarely comment on your pieces since we talk pretty regularly, and I already talked with you about this guys works. But I do want to let you know how humbled and thrilled I am to have been included in a list of such fine writers.

Boney knows how I feel about her work. I guess I should go back to Guyana Girl's blog and let her know too. I am proud to be listed among them.

Oh, and Nikki, and Langston too.

-J*

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

You write too, Chrome? I must go to your blog tomorrow. Okay, thank you, I see you're saying you like my writing :-)

Icy, maybe that book has served it's purpose. To make you think about what's good / bad?

I fret about what I write. All the time. I want to inspire people, motivate, make people think. I know I can't be a T S Eliot, or an Ernest Hemmingway...but then, every writer has her own voice, and I pray and hope that one day, my voice will not be a squeak, or a croak.

Is it the same Jill Scott, the singer? [Pardon my ignorance]. Jill Scott the singer is amazing.

Bonita said...

Icy your words have meaning so you could never fail as a writer. Thank you for thinking highly of me. One day we will all be bonded. Setting along the shelves with Nikki G. & Lanston. Holding a spot for Chrome, Korema and other up and coming writers out there........You feel me...Boney

F-ftOS said...

Its amazing how a single incident can trigger so many different chain of thoughts. And its always nice to read a beautifully written piece.

ahlam said...

Lemme just say this and get it outta the way..
I have read some wack pieces on yahoo that made me cringe. Presentation, grammar, context..eh?

To the point:

Icy if you get any better at what you do, we both need to walk to the nearest bookstore, strike a match and burn that mutha down.
I am a HUGE fan of yours, you hear me? Do you hear me through this screen..A HUGE FAN of YOURS!
You can only progress and will always be the best, in my eyes. I know that you have a following. I know that so many others admire your work. Any sort of acknowledgement by you is like a compliment from Jill herself.
Not often are we blessed to meet someone with such a beautiful spirit and the mind of a Goddess. I am being sincere in this..you are a remarkable writer, you are talented and gifted. You are an inspiration to many others. Please know that if anyone reads words by Icylyrics without feeling a tingle, a chill, a flutter or some uncontrollable sensation either inward or outward, they are out of their rabid ass minds.

There is nothing average about what you do.

You have been an inspiration to me. You have helped me share my inner thoughts with others. I have opened up because of the encouragement of you and Bonita. It seems like so long ago..

Y'all 2 sisters are bonded with me 4 life. The only thing we should be thinking about now is which one of us will be published first, and who will make that first million.

Lend me $5 when ya do.

Peace Sis.

Oh, and picture my black ass blushing when I saw my name on that list with Boney, Loc, Chrome, JILL, Langston, and Giovanni. OMG!

Me Dwn said...

Yeah, I second all that Nimah said. lol

I don't want to be redundant but I definitely want to lend my voice in the praise of Icy lyrics and the enlightenment you afford us on a consistent basis.

Hooray for you and all you do (btw,I have always wanted to use hooray! I love that word, lol)

You're my inspiration...

Icylyrics said...

I don't even know what to say. To have a group of writers as friends who love me as much as you guys do is awesome. I'm sitting here in tears. I wasn't trying to give myself love through this post, but to bring awareness to those of us who see shit that is absolutely horrible. Yet, on this day, you will never know how much all of your words meant to me. And Ms. Retta, if you read this, I surely don't wanna exclude you. You have become a trusted confidant and I thank God you are starting to develop your voice for writing. This means so much to me that you all appreciate me, because its your writing that inspires me to write what I write. Boney until you came along, I'd never even really explored my erotic side, let alone wrote an erotic piece of poetry. Chrome, your spoken word pieces pushed me into a new way of self-expression mixed with your sincere love for God. GG, there's something so unique about the way you express yourself through your stories, you have an amazing voice, and Korema, your finger tips are lke gold nuggets. You all push me more than you will ever know, Loc you are a true woman who has many elements and that flows through on the paper so eloquently. Now I guess I should wipe my tears and get to work. Today is one of those days were a gazillion thoughts are flowing, and I need to filter them appropriately so the words can make sense to even me. In a nut shell, I love you all.

Icylyrics said...

oh, and GG, swweetie you don't have to be a T.S Elliott or a Hemmingway, just as they had their own voice and used it well, you also have your own voice. USE IT THE WAY GOD GAVE IT! Be Unique and Be Powerful.

Hayden said...

I'm torn by your comments, Icy. The pursuit of clarity, quality - yup, I understand that. I crave it; each time I write I'm scratching for the most crystaline lines I can scrape from my heart.

For myself, though, I can't worry much about whether someone hates my writing, I have to shrug on by and keep moving. If I am lucky enough to make a few people listen with interest, or think about something I write, I feel honored, connected with the world. Maybe its just that I have had the bad luck to have several important people in my life utterly dis my writing.

Taste is variable, connection is rare. More, I think that what I read and connect to has as much to do with where I am at a given moment as it does with them.

I don't do poetry, and maybe there is a difference because of that.

ahlam said...

No THANKS needed. Just know...

YW anyway.

Let the tears flow Sis.