Friday, July 01, 2005

The Incredibles

This has to be one of the best animated movies I've ever seen. Not so much because of the heroics of the Supers, (although Dash running on the water was the coolest shit I've seen in a while) but because of one line in the movie. The part where Edna tells Elastagirl once she finds out Mr. Incredible has accepted another assigment and gone back to the old life..."You have tell him who he is, and remind him who you are." The first time I heard that line, my boyfriend and I were watching it, and he pointed out how powerful it was, but for some reason, it didn't click to me at that moment. Maybe I was too busy simply trying to figure out why they made Elastagirl have such a huge ass, but now it's another part I love. I had to allow the movie to be absorbed into my spirit. Now that I've watched it some 38 times, (yes I have a life) I see the defining principles of what the movie was really about. Family unity, believing in yourself, and overcoming a society who thinks they can determine what your level of normalcy should be, but most of all, just being who you are.


Mr. Incredible had a zeal and a zest to do what he was destined to do. Circumstances often warranted he do something different, but his desire to save mankind was embedded in him, so when an opportunity came, he had no choice but to forsake his mundane esistance and be who he was designed to be. Same here. I have to be who I was designed to be. No more sitting on my super powers simply because everyone around me is so morbidly plain and ordinary. I'm strange in many ways, but as my brother used to tell me, 'strange is an asset in a strange land.'

So as I prepare to go to my strange land (NY) I have to keep in mind that regardless of what this little town has tried to do to me. I am still 'Elastagirl' even years later with a big booty, an adorable smile, and a sense of humor most folks just don't get.

I will remind them all who I am!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

hey hey!
you're comming to NY!
We'll go running to keep that big booty INCREDIBLE! :)

Icylyrics said...

ok, will do :)

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

And though I've never been to New York, I heard that have some really straaaaaaaange people there.

I think most writers / creative people feel at odds with the rest of society...there's always this sense of being 'different'. I think you know what I mean.

Hayden said...

I have to tell you this amazing thing - completely out of character in my life - I do sales, and Pixar is a customer. They gave me an invite to the screening of Incredibles at Pixar studios and have the incredibles t-shirt to prove it! I do think it should belong to you, though, icylyrics; I LOVED the show, but 38 times? wow, thats a serious relationship!